Due to the unprecedented outbreak of COVID-19 the situation of lockdown has made it uncertain and things are scary at the moment. However, the best that all can do at this time is to keep their mind focused on a task that will bring them and their loved ones close and joy too. So, why not try your hand at sharpening or gaining some culinary skills. Even with the lockdown you can try recipes that are not only easy to make but also require minimum ingredients, majority of the ingredients are already available with you. It will help you focus on something positive and cooking is therapeutic too. So, let’s begin with these recipes.
We all love rice so much that no matter what we like to have it in all the different variety and flavors. So, why not learn some new quick and delicious rice dishes from different states and cooked in different way.
MATAR PANEER PULAO
Delhi dish that is most loved and savored by many on special occasions.
Chopped onions and tomatoes, mint leaves, coriander leaves chopped, black pepper pods, cloves, mace and cardamom. Chili powder, salt to taste and coriander powder. 1 tbsp. curd, ginger-garlic paste, garam masala and turmeric powder.
Boiled peas and 100 gram paneer that is chopped in cubes. Boiled rice.
- Heat oil in a non-stick curry pan and add onions to it, let it be golden brown when you add all the spices.
- Add tomatoes and sauté it.
- Now add boiled peas and cheese cubes to it along with 2 tablespoons of curd to it.
- Now add boiled rice to the mix and add a cup of water to it.
- Close the lid to the pan and let it cook on high flame till the water is evaporated.
- When it is done remove the pan and open the lid and garnish with coriander leaves.
KALA CHANA PULAO
Kala Chana so much loved in Punjab, this one is with pulav and you will definitely love it for the distinct flavor it adds to the rice.
2 cups water, 2 tablespoon ghee, cumin seeds, cinnamon stick, chopped onions, red chili, turmeric powder, salt to taste. Finely chopped coriander leaves.
Rice and I cup boiled chickpeas.
- Heat the ghee in pressure cooker and add onions and cumin seeds to it.
- Add all the spices when the onions are golden brown.
- Add rice to the mix and stir it.
- Add chickpeas and 2 cups of water to it. Close the lid and let it cook on high flame till the first whistle then slow cook it for 10 minutes.
- Release the pressure and open the lid add chopped coriander leaves to it.
The best that you can have is a mix of south Indian food delicacy in your own kitchen. Rice recipe with sambar is that best that you can ever have. It is cooked in Sri Lanka as well as Karnataka.
Cooking oil, hing, curry leaves, red chili, mustard seeds, salt to taste, curry leaves, turmeric powder, red chili powder, sambar powder. Tamarind pulp.
Chopped onions, potatoes and bottle gourd. Toor dal and rice.
- Add oil to pressure cooker and add all the spices one by one except tamarind pulp.
- Add all the vegetables in the mix.
- Add toor dal and rice in the mix and add water to it and close the lid, low flame let it cook till 3 whistles.
- Slowly release the pressure removing it from the flame, open the cooker and now add the tamarind pulp.
- Using a ladle mash it all gently, the dish is ready to be served with yogurt as side dish.
Lucknow is famous for its culture and Awadhi cuisine, but you need not travel there to taste it. With this first recipe named Vegetable Tehri you can easily get it done within few minutes in your own kitchen. The best part is you can prepare it in your pressure cooker easily.
2 tbsp. cooking oil, 1 tsp Cumin seeds, salt to taste, 3 bay leafs, 2 black cardamoms, sliced and diced 1 medium onion, 3-4 red chili, 1 tsp ginger-garlic paste. Half tsp Turmeric powder, 1 tsp dhaniya powder, 1 tsp garam masala.
2 big Potatoes peeled and cut, 2 small tomatoes cut, 1 small cauliflower, half cup green peas. One cup rice.
- On low flame within the pressure cooker add the oil and add cumin seeds, then onions, cardamom, ginger garlic paste and sauté it till its golden brown, then add black cardamom and red chilies and salt to taste.
- Now add the garam masala, turmeric powder and dhaniya powder.
- Add all the vegetables along with green peas and now also add the rice to the mix. Mix these well.
- Add1 ½ cup water to the mix and close the cooker let the flame be full now. Cook till the pressure is released after the first whistle.
The best ever dish from Tamil Nadu that is easy to cook, simple yet delicious.
Cooking oil, mustard seeds, chopped green chilies, curry leaves, red chilies, salt to taste. Cup full Boiled Rice. urad dal. Overnight soaked Chana dal. Two cups curd
- Take a pan and add oil to it along with muster seeds.
- Add chopped green chilies along with urad and Chana dal, sauté it.
- Once it is brown add whole red chilies, salt and curry leaves.
- Meanwhile mix curd and cooked rice in a bowl.
- Now pour the tadka over the mix in the bowl and stir it, decorate it with coriander leaves and serve.
Cooking pasta in your way is something that is delightful and gives you joy as well. Try these recipes with pasta and surprise your loved ones during this lockdown.
It is easy to cook pasta when you are not feeling like it to prepare an elaborate meal, effortless and healthy dish that everyone loves.
Butter, chopped onion and garlic, salt to taste, pepper and turmeric. Chopped parsley.
Pasta, crème and cheese slices.
- Begin by boiling pasta in a bowl and then set it aside. Take out the pasta while preserving the water.
- Melt butter in the pan kept on low flame and sauté onions and garlic to it.
- When onion and garlic turns golden brown then add turmeric, salt and pepper to it.
- Now add cheese slices and cream to it making a creamy sauce.
- Add boiled pasta to it and pour the pasta water to the pan and mix it well.
- Cook for 5 minutes on low flame and then remove it from the flame, adding chopped parsley for the final touch.
TOMATO AND PASTA SOUP
For a quick meal when you are too hungry to prepare something else, this one is the best. Healthy and wholesome too.
Cooking oil, chopped onions, chopped tomatoes, salt to taste, black pepper powder just a pinch. Italian seasoning or if not then red chili flakes and chopped basil.
Finely chopped mushrooms and capsicum. Boiled pasta and its water set aside.
- Heat oil in the curry pan and add onions and garlic to it.
- When these are golden brown then add chopped tomatoes, cover it and let it cook for 5 minutes on low flame.
- Now open the lid and mash the tomatoes with the ladle to make a paste of it.
- Add mushrooms and capsicum to it and cook for 5 more minutes on medium flame.
- Now add the seasonings like chili flakes, basil, salt to taste and black pepper powder.
- Add boiled pasta to the mix and use the pasta water in it.
- Let it cook for 10 minutes with lid closed medium flame and cook till it is thick.